- Sudden weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headaches with no known cause
Some find that it is easier to remember the signs of stroke with the acronym FAST.
Face – Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
Arm – Ask the person to raise both arms. Does the arm drift downward?
Speech – Ask the person to say a simple phrase. Does the speech sound slurred or strange?
Time – If you observe any of these signs CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY.